The mission of Preston Library is to provide library materials and services of the highest quality; to teach skills needed for academic inquiry and lifelong learning; to support faculty and undergraduate research; to provide access to and promote the use of Institute historical materials; to support the creation and use of multimedia by cadets and faculty; and to offer library services to the community at large.
Our vision is to be the primary gateway to information for the VMI community. We aspire to provide exemplary services, to model the innovative use of technology, and to be sought out for guidance in the intelligent use of information resources.
Named for Colonel J.T.L. Preston, the current library building was dedicated in 1939, enlarged in 1972, and renovated in 1996. The building is equipped with networked computers,wireless internet access, a computer instruction lab, individual study carrels, group study tables, and group study rooms. Each floor also has a gallery area furnished with comfortable armchairs and sofas.